Monday, February 7, 2011

Dr. Neal Cox - Director of Student Leadership

Select at least three of Brother Cox's 12 career hints and report what you are currently doing to follow his recommendations. Be specific in describing how you are living each hint.
Then select one or more hints from Brother Cox's presentation upon which you feel a need improve your focus. Be specific about your plans to better incorporate this hint into your life.

1. Family First
2. Leave it better than you found it.
3. Don't fear to contribute and invite others to do so.
4. Do more than is expected.
5. Be prepared before opportunity knocks.
6. Be willing to start from ground level.
7. Don't measure success by fame or fortune.
8. Don't value security more than opportunity to serve.
9. Deflect praise to others.
10. Sprout deep roots.
11. Try new things.
12. If you don't love it, leave it.



3. Don't fear to contribute and invite others to do so.
I love this one. Put your best foot forward in your service and invite others to do so. I gained a great testimony of this one last year as I was specifically over volunteer outreach and placement in HR. It was my duty to make sure events were fully staffed and that things were rolling right along. I was able to meet so many people and match them with opportunities that interested them. I made some wonderful life long friends in the process too.

6. Be willing to start from ground level.
I came into BYUSA asking Adam how I could become president one day. He recommended that I find a volunteer opportunity and that's when I began experiencing more with BYUSA. Through the last three years here I have been involved with many different aspects of our organization. Because of that, I have some unique insight and knowledge into how things work and of how to build off of our past. Had I been upset with Adam and felt entitled to an ED or VP position from the start, I would not have had the same type of experience here at BYU and would not be the same person that I am today.

10. Sprout deep roots.
AMEN! This has been my exact attitude in coming to BYU. I knew that I was going to be here for a few years and that by reaching out to those around me, my experience here would be improved. I really like getting to know people and learning about random connections between us. I can also see that the relations I make today are going to carry far into my future. It's incredible that I can now travel almost anywhere in the world and be able to find someone that I know.



9. Deflect praise to others.
I can't get enough of praise. After reading The Five Languages of Love this summer, I learned that I prefer to be praised with words of affirmation. Because of this I mounted a cork board above my desk to remind myself of my accomplishments and of my personal worth. This isn't vain or wrong, but because these compliments mean so much to me I realize that they may have a greater impact on others. As part of my Leadership Development plan this year I am working on expressing my gratitude more. As I do this, I will be better able to see the hand of the Lord in my life and have a more cohesive and cooperative team.

No comments: