Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Volunteers

What was your experience like when you first got involved with BYUSA? If you would have preferred it to be different, how can you help new volunteers have the difference you wish you had?
I don't really even remember where I first heard about BYUSA. I was attempting to figure out the BYU website and sorta just found it. I remember reading Adam and the rest of the presidency's bios and just thinking they had to be the coolest people ever... and that I wanted to be a part of what they were doing.
Coming to BYU and participating in NSO I was able to listen to Adam's advice (go to devotionals). I was star struck. When Brooke and Adam were handing out pins at the BBQ I just about died. My Y Group thought I was this crazy obsessed girl.
I kept seeing Adam around campus and saying hi. After awhile of this, I set up an appointment to come into the office and meet Adam personally and see where I could help. The night before the meeting there was a knock on my door and a group of students, including Chad Johnson, informed us that they were Service Squad, a part of BYUSA and were here to take out our trash. Funny I had all this exposure at once.
Talking to Adam the next day I learned a lot. At the conclusion of our meeting he asked me to work on Elections. I felt pretty cool being a freshman reporting directly to the President.

Working on elections was hard. Though I had weekly meetings with Adam (and soon Mike Squires) I didn't feel as though I had direction or training. I loved being in the office but was not connected to any other individuals in the organization. I did my work in Leadership Ed (what used to be half of comms with no light above our head) and really just felt lonely. It wasn't until Garrett, Chad, Lauren and Nat invited me over into Comms to do my work that I really felt like I had friends and was fitting in.
I knew that good things were happening in the office and was in there every day from 3-5, just like an ED. I never recieved a nametag, never had an offical tour... but all in all, I so grateful I made it here.

Now I'm helping out in Human Resources and am specifically the Executive Director over Volunteer Outreach and Placement. With Elise, Kelin and the rest of our forming team, our entire purpose is to make sure the volunteers are being taking into the organization through the correct means. We want everyone to have a standard office tour and be directly placed the first time that they come into the office. I love what I do.

How can you better help your volunteers feel a sense of belonging from their service?
I can make sure my volunteers feel a sense of belonging from their service through a variety of means. The volunteer uniform will unite them in their cause- they'll easily be able to recognize the others that are serving alongside them. The Huddle is a group meeting that is to occur at the beginning and end of each event to deliver the volunteer plan and break down of the event. The Event Lead should be the one to conduct the huddle. Knowing their names...

How will you personally recognize the volunteers you work with?
I will personally recognize my volunteers through verbal praise, random treats all with an attitude of genuine sincerity.

No comments: