Tuesday, September 23, 2008

superiority complex

A childhood in Galt, California. True happiness in Draper, Utah. I'm not pulling your leg or being sarcastic in any way, shape or form of the word. Although I make up part of the 31% of BYU Utahans, I haven't spent my entire existence within its boundaries. The move to Utah came the summer before 6th grade and was honestly a pretty devastating thing. I went from top dog, super smarty-pants to an isolated child.

My life didn't stay this way forever- obviously, I'm just not that type of person. Draper really is the best place to live because of the type of people you're able to meet, the standards they and the community hold, and the sheer amount of activities it offers within a five minute area.

Draper began to have an appeal for me once I began to meet the lifelong friends I still have to this day. The biggest thing about the move to Utah, besides leaving my Father, was leaving the Church. Once we moved out here we became inactive. I was young and didn't understand the monumentality of that decision. Friends I made at school and in my neighborhood really are responsible for bringing me back and helping me to become the person I am today.

While I knew EVERYBODY back in my elementary school, not necessarily everyone held the same standards that I did. By living in the area that I did, I was able to meet those that really strived to do their best and live life as the Savior did. I know all of my neighbors and can rely on them for anything. My ward is incredible. They love me, and my family, as individuals and only wish to serve. I was able to seek out the best friends and look to those that need to be emulated as examples in my own life.

Plus, life in Draper pretty much means you can do anything within a few minutes. There is an arena, field, court, pool, and store for every sport imaginable. We have mountains for your winter sports, a short drive offering lakes and rivers, and hundreds of restaurants and stores. Boredom isn't something that comes easily.

I have loved my life in Draper and will eternally sing praises to its name. I now know that my family's move to the area was an inspired thing to help me meet those that would allow me to perfect myself and return to the Light. While others may try to sway you, I know the truth. Draper is where true happiness resides.

No comments: